Monday, June 2, 2008

Reality Check

We took the hospital tour over the weekend. Nothing too exciting so all in all, it was fine.

Oh wait. I must be confusing it with something else. It was, in a word, terrifying. If sheer panic and an overwhelming urge to vomit equal "fine," then sure, it was fine. I'm exaggerating...it wasn't THAT bad. After all, we did receive a nice parting gift - a beautifully wrapped box full of REALITY complete with instructions to open immediately. And who doesn't love that?

We did experience an amusing, albeit slightly uncomfortable, situation while on the tour. One of the soon to be dads asked our chipper instructor if he would be allowed to deliver his own baby.

"I've delivered a few babies and I think it would be great to be able to deliver my own," said the man who wants to be one with Mother Earth. Color me curious, but whose kids did this guy deliver? We didn't ask. I particularly enjoyed his descriptive hand gestures. How on earth would we have known what Captain Hippie was referring to without those hand gestures? I, for one, was thankful. Anyway, the look on our tour guide's face was priceless. She was a tad stumped, but quick to tell him to ask his doctor.

I'm all for being an involved parent, but the Women's Center at Northside Hospital has as much technology as NORAD and enough nurses to fill the Georgia Dome. Let them handle it. If you want to visit a primitive tribal village in the jungle and communicate with hand gestures and clicks, more power to you. Just don't forget the tofu.